The Essence

Living and growing a family in the North awards you with a real and tangible connection to the land. As a mother of 5 and as a home baker and wannabe chef, it is this connection that seeps into everything - motherhood, food, harvesting, and experiencing the very heartbeat of the bit of earth that sustains us.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Catching up


My list of things to do today is occupied with catching up. I have fallen behind this holiday season, opting to bask in family time rather than keep up with my pink jobs. I have yet to send out my Christmas family update, the cards are ready, the envelopes are even addressed, but I am determined to include the family letter of 2009 that I have yet to write. So they will be New Year cards. The list of household chores is long, like cleaning out the fridge, which still has leftover turkey hiding in a container somewhere in the back. Leftovers have never been my thing. There are business chores, like paying bills and sorting mail and examining the long avoided VISA statement. There are chores outside, like refilling bird feeders and scooping dog doo and adding water to the hot tub. There is recycling, ugg, the recycling. A mountain of cardboard and wrapping paper and the evidence of too much alcohol consumed. Good thing recycling is pretty much a blue job.

On Monday was our anniversary. 13 years are behind us, 13 years of raising babies and creating a family and riding the waves of ups and downs. My parents took the kids for the weekend and T.J and I checked into a hotel for a vacation from the world. It was a sweet reminder of what we are together, of a renewed sense of appreciation and passion and love. For 2 whole nights we focused just on us and it was wonderful. On Saturday morning T.J rolled over to check the time and he said, "Holy crap, it's 2:30!" I haven't slept like that since I was a teenager! We returned to our kids rested and revived, ready to take on this new year. So here's to one item crossed off my list, an entry on my neglected blog. Now onto Christmas letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment